Now the question is "WHY?" According to more than one ESL forum, the mod is making money recruiting teachers for China and the many posts that he deletes are simply bad for business - his personal business. Here are more examples:
(take from TEFL.net & realscam.com, and scam.com:
"It took me 6 months to figure it out but finally he gave himself away by his biased deletions of anything anyone posted on Reddit that exposed job agent fraud or even links to CCTV News investigation and this article published in a newspaper with 17 million readers- the Global Times which he had the balls to say was a fake article! No sympathy for foreigners working illegally in Shanghai - Global Times The asshole even deleted links where people talked about pedophile foreign teachers and how and agent helped Neil Robinson (the arrested pedophile pictured above) get into China! Was that agent Tan Guan? Why else would he delete links about the shameful 2014 episode?
The truth is that this guy uses his mod position to access the names and email addresses of ESL teachers asking questions at reddit about working in China. I did a little experiment. I logged on as anew user and asked only 3 questions about working in China. within 36 hours I received email that offered ne assistance yet when I asked how they got my Hotmail email address (that I made up only two days before and used only for this test, thy gave me0 "Tan_Guan the Reddit Moderator" and "Nomad Soul" (a user at eslcafe.com also known to be a job recruiter)as references. When I asked for their real names and telephone numbers so I could talk with them. Then I received an Email supposedly from Tan Guan from a yahoo email account who said he could help me get a good job in China. Still he would not give me a phone number or even Skype contact, unless I would send him a resume and photo. So I took it to the next level and fabricated a great resume and borrowed a photo of the internet and sent it to Tan Guan. This morning I received a call from China ESL who said they had a job for me and that I was recommended from Tan_Guan!!!!
After I stopped laughing I search this China ESL and found that it is another black job agencies in China! I called back to ask them their business license number and they said they would show it to me only if I came to the interview and was hired. That was enough for me. I then started looking around online about Reddit's reputation, and see they have lost whatever rep they used to have. I found this here amongst other things at TEFL.net...
"In the last year I caught three public forums overrun with moderators that were China English teacher recruiters that are unlicensed to do business in China...eslcafe, echinacities, and the beijinger. No worries, I simply kept my visits limited to here, eslbase, and eslwatch and have not been misled about anything. However I now saw this post about Reddit in an "open letter" that apparently emailed to about 100,000 ESL and TEFL teachers, and this really makes we wonder;
Why can't people just accept that every teaching destination has some negative issues that have to be dealt with and highlight the positives? There is no need to hide the pollution, hepatitis, nor scams of China! Just tell people how to avoid them! I really hate the deception and have now lost all respect I had for Reddit which in now even less credible than The National Enquirer! Here is what I am talking about;
"It has just come to our attention that Reddit moderator Tan_Guan is a black unlicensed China foreign teacher recruiter misusing his authority to delete truthful and factual information in the China and Chinajob subredits to conceal negative facts including;
* 49 China foreign teachers spent their Christmas in a Shanghai jail after being caught working with illegal F and Z visas. He even deleted 7 users who posted this article link to the Global Times newspaper and 3 to CCTV News archives.No sympathy for foreigners working illegally in Shanghai - Global Times
* The deportation of over 1,600 expat teachers from China in 2014 and these 379 more recent ones
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6380 and also herehttp://eslwatch.info/forum/china
* He has also deleted links of foreign teachers in China who have warned each other China inbound teachers to be aware of a huge hepatitis outbreak (about 18% of the China population is infected with Hepatitis) Google for the details.
* He also has deleted scam alerts about the Echinacities resume and identity theft scam that is explained in detail at chinascamwatch.wordpress.com and here scam.com/showthread.php?620902-Echinacities-com-Classified-Ch...
* Tan_Guan has also deleted warnings from actual scam victims who were set up for China PSB sting scams that used fake job ads that are now mention at TEFL.net, ESLBase.com, ESLwatch.info, the CFTU, ESL.com, ESLEmployment and most other expat job sites for China like this one here; http://tefl.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7125
* This biased mod has also hidden and removed fraud alerts about MLM scams that deliberately target overseas teachers because it is hard for them to make police complaints to American authorities or sue the scam artists from China, like the World Ventures Travel Club scam (MLM) described here: http://scam.com/search.php?do=getnew...e=vBForum_Post
* He did not even users to tell other foreign teachers that they had real labor rights in China! Employee Rights Of China Foreign ESL, TEFL, & AP Expat Teachers (1/2) - ESLwatch Forum - ESLwatch - Information, News, Forum and School Reviews...
* Here is another news gem item about the rewards being paid by police to find fake teachers using phony diplomas and illegal z visas that he deleted China Foreign Teachers Unite & Report Fake & Unqualified Teachers To The PSB! (1/4) - ESLwatch Forum - ESLwatch - Information, News, Forum and School Reviews...
Overall this appears to be a classic example how people become moderators to help their own personal business thrive through CENSORSHIP. How many people would really want to work in China or use an agent if they knew that 72% of all China foreign teachers are cheated by their own job agents and employers at least once, or they have a 33% chance of getting arrested because they listened to some shady agent and used the wrong visa? Or would you really be in a rush to work with an agent who tells you the average wage is $1,200 per month when it is really $3,000?
Last year Reddit was caught censoring Glen Greenwald and posts in support of Edward Snowden and Julian Assange. Their own former moderators have circulated a petition to stop the CENSORHIP and their forrmer CEO Ellen resigned over the CENSORSHIP issue. Yet they continue to allow biased mods to censor at their own whim with no oversight.
So, if you really want the truth about teaching in China, do NOT trust Reddit friends.
If you still do not know who or what to believe at reddit, just look at the total comment count, and then count the number of actual comments showing. Now you know how many comments were deleted! Those that want actual screen shots of what was deleted, check at scam.com and real scam.com REMEMBER, REDDIT DOES NOT GUARANTEE FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND AS A PRIVATE WEBSITE CAN LEGALLY POST FABRICATIONS & PROPAGANDA IF THEY WANTED TO.
However, simply through the fine art of selective censorship, they can easily spin or shape the truth for any political or commercial convenience. Tan_Guan is an unethical mod who needs to be replaced ASAP. He would be quite at home in North Korea where his deceit would be more welcomed and appreciated.
P.S. Here is the latest scam that Tan_Guan and his fellow China job agents do not want you to see: http:shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbforum/topic192126.html."